Friday, September 19, 2014

Washington D.C. Day Trip 1

On July 5th my dad came out to visit us in our new home and help break up the time while I was without another adult around and Oh thank goodness he came!
I totally underestimated how hard it was going to be for me to be on my own getting to know the area and helping the kids adjust.

The first on our list was to go into D.C. and let me just say we had and adventure filled with lots of firsts, excitement, and lots and lots of walking!

To start the trip of we decided to try and ride the metro. My dad and I thought this would be a lot of fun and the easiest way to experience D.C.  Let me just start by saying that the YouTube video made it look super easy.  So I thought to myself, "I've got this!"  Well, no I didn't;)  I walked right up to the kiosk and then, "Say what?"  It made no sense to me at all! I then proceeded to try and get one of the nice workers to help me.  We got our tickets and headed to our destination. The kids loved it!

I looked at the wonderful map I picked up at Barnes and Noble and thought the kids would love to start with the White House.  I thought that it would be the perfect start. 

Our plan for the day was to get off at one of the metro stations that was close to the White House, see the White House then walk over to the Smithsonian to check out a couple of museums and be back before the rush hour of the metro when the price of the tickets go up.  My dad wanted to see the National Museum of the American Indian and I thought the kids would love to see National Air & Space Museum.  Well when you look at the map everything looks a whole lot closer than in real life. The stations close to the White House are not actually that close.  
That was my first rookie mistake! 
It was a hot and humid day and our plan involved a lot of walking, which we didn't know we were headed for.

We loved seeing the White House and all the other old buildings that surrounded it.  The architecture, the statues, everything was so amazing!  I just loved thinking of all the people throughout our history walking the same sidewalks we were walking.
By the time we got to the Air and Space Museum  the line to get in was all the way out the front and down the street.  At that point the kids were at their end and all we had really seen was the White House and the Washington Monument.  My dad saved the day and bought the kids each an ice cream and me a Diet Coke which gave us the energy to fight the heat and make it to the Indian Museum.  Which was not at all crowded and had AC!!  We loved looking at all the different native cultures from our country and even found an amazing statue that was made by a man from St. George, Utah.  Small world!  When we left the Indian Museum and before we started for home, we thought we'd see what the Air and Space Museum was like.  There wasn't a line anymore, but it was still busy. We decided we needed to head home before the kids lost it and ran though one exhibit on air lift.  A lot of the stuff in there was hands on and the kids had a blast.

All in all it was a great day and it was so exciting being in this great city surrounded by our Country's rich history and beautiful buildings.  When we asked the kids what they last best about the day, they all agreed riding the Metro was the best!

Here are the few pictures I took that day...Not many because I was a little overwhelmed by all the walking and keeping the kids spirits up.





~July 7, 2014~

No comments: