Friday, October 10, 2014

Colvin Run Mill

On the second to last day before my dad had to head home.  We decided to take it easy.  We let the kids sleep in and went to this old mill that still operates.  It produces flour and corn meal just like they did way back when George Washington lived in this area.  Actually George Washington financed for this this mill to be made.  
We went on their tour and learned how they used to run this mill and how it was all done back then.
We all fell in love with this place!

They have a general store where they sell the flour and corn meal and other things.  The thing that got me and the kids to come back several more times over the summer was the penny candy.  Oh did that bring back my childhood memories...I loved getting my little brown paper bag and filling it with candy.  My kids loved it too:) They couldn't believe what they could get for a dollar. 
I purchased a bag of corn meal and I have never had my homemade corn bread taste better!


After we left with our goodies we took a relaxing drive down George Washington Parkway.  We thought we'd drive up to Mount Vernon just to see where is was.  The GPS got us lost, but all in all it was a great day and I was really sad to have my dad leave.  We had a lot of fun exploring with him!













This particular set of stones that they use can only be bought in only one quarry in the whole world in France.  The ships would put them in the ships to weigh them down as they came across the ocean to America and then head back full of other goods they bought here.  I love history!



The miller and his family lived in this house.  They had 20 children!

 ~July 13, 2014~

No comments: